Wednesday 17 August 2011

Book Splurge

Like millions of other people I love to sink into a good book. I haven’t always loved it; in fact I obstinately refused to learn to read until I was six. My mum would despair at me, my teachers would try bribing me but frankly, I just couldn’t be bothered to learn what all the little letters joined together sounded like aloud.

I was more interested in creating my own version based on the pictures. Then one day I just picked it up and never stopped. I’d slink away up to my room and devour book upon book. I didn’t read for escapism. I read to understand the world around me; I also read to hear how things that I had never seen before were described and then I would then attempt to draw them. I was obsessed with descriptions. The real type of description such a Milton uses where every word adds further depth to his vast picture of poetry.

I never read anything written before 1930. I refused to. I found it all too grey.

Then I went to University and my reading habits changed entirely, quite suddenly modernism meant the whole world to me and I craved that grey, honest writing. I stopped caring for description and focussed on dialogue, I started reading drama rather than novels and instead of painting poetry I looked for people to do it for me - you can always match up a Picasso to one poem or other. I fell into philosophy and art and somewhere along the line forgot about novels. In an odd kind of way reading English had the opposite effect to that which I thought it would, instead of opening me up to masses of new text it made me extremely picky about what I liked and to an extent made me hate novels.

Recently I’ve been craving books again, I’m trying to read wider than I have in the past and I’ve realised there are literally hundreds of classics I’ve still not read. Not to mention the hundreds I have at home that I’ve still not read.

All this is a really long winded way of saying that I went on a huge book buying splurge recently and now have a dozen new ones to get excited about. I just want to read them all. Right. Now.

(The Gunter Grass one isn't strictly speaking new but I had lost it and have only just found it again)




1 comment:



  1. 色情視訊-裸聊視頻-真人秀聊天視頻網站,麗的情色遊戲
    漾美眉視訊交友-藍玫瑰包養網,全球成人情色論壇
    免費夫妻視頻真人秀-都市包養網-三陪女大學生,全球情色
    視頻聊天室免費真人秀-韓國MFC視訊美女,麗的情色
    漾美眉視頻聊天室-免費視頻真人秀 視頻網站,全球情色論壇
    漾美眉交友聊天室-裸模秀-真人秀在線視頻,情色漫畫
    夜色撩人聊天室-免費真人秀聊天-美女摸胸視頻,情色網
    免費多人視頻真人秀-成人免費聊天室,情色論壇
    免費視頻交友真人秀-同城視頻交友網,情色影片
    視頻聊天室真人秀場-在線視頻語音聊天室,傻妹妹情色網
    台灣視頻網站-寡婦打野視頻-免費真人秀聊天,情色遊戲
    真人秀黃視頻聊天室-漾美眉聊天室,愛薇兒情色網
    台灣真人秀全集視頻-夫妻真人秀視頻,麗的情色漫畫
    免費視頻聊天,色女生的qq號-真人秀多人視頻,情色貼圖
    免費在線視頻聊天-第九視頻美女直播間,情色文學
    開放真人秀視頻聊天室-美女熱舞視頻直播間,情色小說
    夜夜秀視頻交友真人秀-美女視頻直播秀,麗的情色小遊戲
    yy視頻聊天室真人秀場-免費床友交友網,情˙色線小說
    beautyleg真人秀視頻-免費寂寞交友聊天室,情˙色微電影
    視頻真人秀場網站-58同城交友視頻主播,情˙色照片
    免費真人秀聊天-免費激情美女真人秀-免費真人秀,情€色
    情緣視頻聊天社區-免費午夜激情聊天室,色情影片免費看
    同城—夜情交友qq群-真愛旅舍視頻網破解,歐美色情影片
    約炮是什麼意思-九八情侶網-三色午夜秀聊天室,傻妹妹色情
    e夜情免費視頻聊天室-寫真模特性愛視頻,免費線上色情影片
    同城約會交友e夜情-免費視頻聊天室,愛薇兒色情網站
    超碰免費視頻在線觀看-台灣真愛旅舍聊天室,日本色情影片
    97超碰免費視頻人人操-明星視頻社區,色情卡通影片
    同城情人網-可樂視頻社區破解-免費聊天室你懂的,色情聊天
    qq同城交友聊天室-明星不雅視頻-三色午夜免費聊天室,色情a片
    性感美女QQ真人秀視頻-紅磨坊視頻社區,色情圖貼
    在線裸聊視頻-可樂視頻社區美女-免費午夜聊天室,卡通色情
    51vv視頻社區-情緣多人視頻聊天,愛薇兒免費色情影片
    293多人視頻大秀視頻-外灘五號多人視頻,成人色情小說
    百老匯多人視頻聊天室-夫妻真人秀視頻聊天室,色情按摩
    百老匯舞蹈視頻-超碰免費夫妻在線視頻,免費看色情影片
    學生包養網-精英包養網-求包養網-三陪美女,z的色情漫畫
    裸聊網視頻-夫妻網聊天室-摳摳視頻秀,愛薇兒色情
    夜色視頻多人聊天室-蕭山夫妻交換聊天室,色情自拍
    高端交友包養美女網站-心儀交友網-快播人妻視頻,711色情

    ReplyDelete